Monday, August 5, 2013

Sizzix ScoreBoards XL Die - Box with Flap--Review and Modification


I owe the Sizzix BigKick (the periwinkle machine) and so far think it has proven to be quite useful. I bought a few box die templates because I wanted a box options for gift giving and donations. However, when I received the Sizzix ScoreBoards XL Die - Box w/Flap (2 5/8" x 3 3/4" x 7/8"), I realized that it looked too much like a crayon box. Further, I tried it with regular cardboard and it did not crease. The only explanation is that my cardboard must not be thick enough. So, I decided to make it work anyways, my way. I was so pleased that I decided to share it. 
Tools and Material You Will Need

6 inch ribbon
a bead
12" x 6" cardboard
12" x 12" gift wrap
scissors
small hole puncher
glue
tape
stapler
Sizzix BigKick or BigShot Machine
"Sizzix ScoreBoards XL Die, Box with Flap" die cut

Instructions
1. Measure the front side and crease it at 2 3/8".
2. Since my cut-out did not score, I divided the size into thirds and creased it.
3. Trim off the sides to 2 3/8".
4. I eyeballed where the creases to the flap and fold.
5. At the 2 3/8" mark from the back side, cut across.
6. Slide the flap to fit and then staple on both sides; also staple the sides to close the box.
7. Fold the bottom flap, tuck in, and tape.
8. Trace decorative wrapping paper, cut, and glue.
9. For the bottom, just tape it closed like gift wrap.
10. Punch a hole on the flap and also on the corresponding front side.
11. Cut a ribbon and loop a bead into it.
12. Pull the two ends of the ribbon through the hole on the front side.
13. Wrap a small gift such as earrings and tuck inside the box.
14. Pull the two ends of the ribbon through the flap and then tie a bow. Voila!

Last Words
The box now reminds me of a gum box, but the new gum boxes have not been around as long as the crayon boxes. The crayon box is still useful for longer objects, but if you want a smaller box, this is how you can do it.

 








    No comments:

    Post a Comment